Summer brings variety! While you may have braces now, there are plenty of healthy food choices available to you this summer. However, there are some foods that can set back your progress. This new way of approaching food will improve more than just your mouth. You may even discover some new favorite foods and healthier choices.
What About Gum and candy?
The truth is gum and candy work against your braces. Pressure is caused when you chew. Hard foods will break the brackets, bands, or the wire. Sticky foods will bend your wires. Gum of any kind moves your teeth into difficult and unexpected places. As a result, more pressure is needed to correct the process. By cutting certain food items out, you can stay on course and avoid prolonging your time with braces or orthodontic treatment.
What Foods Should You Avoid:
- Sticky hard caramel
- Hard candy
- Bagels, crust
- Corn on the cob
Can I Enjoy My Favorite Foods With Braces?
You can still enjoy many of the foods you did before. Making it softer and smaller is the only difference between these five food groups.
- Fruits — Let them ripen. While your teeth are tender, stick with berries like blackberries, raspberries, and blueberries. Two cups of fruit daily is recommended. When going raw, go small and let your back teeth take over.
- Vegetables — Two to three cups of soft veggies is recommended by your orthodontist in Parsippany, NJ each day. When in doubt, steam and boil to soften the veggies making it easier to chew. Mashed potatoes are another excellent choice.
- Grains — Grains are usually the safest haven. Cut out small grains and seeds, as they can get stuck in your braces. Warm up those crusts to make them soft and chewable. If adequately boiled to soften, pasta and rice can be easily enjoyed with braces.
- Dairy — Most dairy products are fine, such as yogurt and milk. String cheese products are preferable over hard cheeses because they peel easily.
- Proteins — Fish, chicken, lean pork or beef, and tofu work well if they are cooked well and easy to chew. The more tender and smaller the cut the better. Always cut your meat from the bone and chew smaller pieces to avoid damage to the braces. Opt for peanut butter and almond spreads, and grind down those nuts.
Recipes for those with braces are available on the internet. Be sure to ask your Parsippany orthodontist for food recommendations this summer. There are a lot of easy-to-make meals that work well with braces. You will never have to sacrifice a healthy diet for orthodontic treatment. By making these simple changes, you can ensure that your braces work for you to provide a healthy straight smile.
Meet Caggiano Orthodontics
Parsippany, NC’s Favorite Orthodontist For Braces & Invisalign
Dr. Caggiano, our award-winning orthodontist in Parsippany, NJ offers the most advanced braces for children and adults, including Invisalign, metal braces, and orthodontic treatment.
Contact us today for a free, no-obligation braces consultation at our orthodontics office in Parsippany, New Jersey.